1. What is the Belize Disapora Program?
Belize Diaspora Program is an exercise that the Government of Belize is undertaking to determine the number of Belizeans living overseas and to foster a closer relationship with this overseas community. It is hoped that through this exercise our various Embassies and Consulates will be better able to work with the Government of Belize to address the needs of our Citizens residing overseas by providing more and improved services, and to continue together in the work of developing Belize.
2. Who can participate in the Belize Diaspora program?
All Belizeans living overseas.
3. Do I have to share personal information in the registration from?
Yes. The information requested will be used by the program’s representatives to compile data on the Belizeans living aboard.
4. Will the information shared in the registration form be kept confidential?
Yes, the information shared will be dealt with the strictest confidentiality and will only be used for the purpose intended. All information gathered shall be for the sole use of the representatives of the Diaspora program, shall not be disseminated to any other entity.
5. How will the information collected through the registration be used?
The information will be collated on a database and the aggregated information used to inform the Government of Belize on Diaspora skills, experiences and interest that can support the development of Belize. The information will also be used to guide Government policy on a structured framework to engage the Diaspora.
6. Can existing Diaspora groups/individuals currently supporting development in Belize participate in the registration process?
Groups/individuals currently supporting development initiatives in Belize are encouraged to participate in the registration process.
7. Do I need to have specific educational skills and professional background to participate?
No specified educational, professional background or skill is required for participation in the registration process.
8. Can a person who lived and worked abroad for a number of years but is currently residing in Belize participate in the registration process?
Remigrants are not considered part of the Diaspora. Only persons who currently live abroad will be eligible to participate in the registration process.
9. Will registering help me to find a job in Belize?
This program itself does not offer opportunities for employment but facilitates the mapping of Diaspora skills.
10. Who will have responsibility for the information shared in the registration process?
The information will be managed by Diaspora program staff and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Belize.
11. Would funding/monetary donations be considered as resources which could support the development of Belize?
Yes, they are considered resources which will support Belize’s development but caution must be exercised to ensure that they are channeled through the correct organizations to ensure these donations reach the intended target group.
12. How soon can we get involved in developmental activities?
This phase of the program will focus on engaging the Diaspora and mapping existing skills/resources and experiences that can support development. This is your first step in getting involved in Belize’s development. Don’t hesitate, to participate immediately contact “Insert Link here for Consulate General website”.
13. What options are available for Diaspora return plans?
The Government of Belize has set guidelines a remigration scheme, which offers concessions for remigrants. Please visit the DRIP page for more information on the Government of Belize’s Remigration Scheme.
14. Are there any business/investment opportunities for Diaspora to undertake?
Yes, there are. Belize is open for business and investments for individuals to undertake in the Diaspora. Please visit the website for the Beltraide or contact the Consulate General in New York. Belize offers a number of investment and business opportunities in the different sectors, with international market access for trade through the different trade agreements along with concessions and incentives in the different sectors.
15. Why is the Belize Diaspora a priority for Belize?
The Belize Diaspora Program is a priority for Belize because it will help the Government of Belize to know more about the composition of the Belizean Diaspora, what their interests are and if they would like to contribute to Belize’s development. The information obtained from the Belize Diaspora will also help to guide Government policies on engaging the Diaspora.
For more information please send us a comment on the contact page